Hosted by Brady Volpe of the Volpe Firm
Guest John Downey, CMTS Technical Leader at Cisco Systems
Special Guest Larry Wolcott, Leader at Comcast’s Next Gen Operations Technology Group
So in our show today we going to have a lot of discussions around proactive network maintenance aka PNM. 2016 Advances in PNM Technology and What to expect in 2017.
We open the discussion with the realization of how far we have come from the early days of PNM where we only looked pre-equalization values to where we are now. I think we almost need a new term for PNM of today, such as PNM+ or Advanced PNM because we do so much more with PNM other than just look at pre-eq values.
- elaborate on full band capture, upstream spectral analysis, intermittent modems in DOCSIS 3.0, etc.
- discuss how we can leverage cable modems as field test devices
- will it really work in temp extremes, techs with gloves, rain, 8 hr days, no cell coverage, at output of bridges levels, etc.
- discuss how to measure ingress at the remote PHY
- Brady demo black box – See SCTE press release
- Further discussion on why don’t need to monitor every port 24×7 (only ports that have codeword errors, low SNR/MER, etc.)
- Group discussion on PNM in a DOCSIS 3.1 world
- Capabilities in DOCSIS 3.1 spec
- Data handling in DOCSIS 3.1 (massive amounts of data)
- When will MIBs be ready for DOCSIS 3.1 PNM
- When will vendors be able support MIBs for DOCSIS 3.1 PNM
- Closing thoughts about the future of PNM (wifi, PON, etc.)